Think Before You Ink

As a child I was constantly staining my skin with magic marker tattoos, a little hobby that of course terrified my mother into thinking I was the next Kat Von D. And although the phase has long since passed, when I recently decided to stain my skin with something a bit more permanent than magic marker my mom was hardly surprised. Luckily for her, my tiny wrist tattoo is a far cry from Kat Von D sleeves (and rest assured those are not in my future!)

The "God is greater than the highs and lows" symbol is something very personal and meaningful to me. It's a reminder that I am constantly in need of in my life and so after quite a bit of mulling over I felt confident it was a commitment I could make.  However, deciding I wanted to move forward with the tattoo was just the first step in my process.

I talked about it a lot with my mom and roommate first. While I loved the whole concept behind the tattoo, I wanted to be absolutely sure it wasn't something I'd end up regretting. I knew they'd give it to me straight and so when I got a thumbs up, I knew they meant it. While your opinion is obviously the most important in this situation, don't be close minded to other perspectives. You do you and all that, but if the 2015 "you" wants a butterfly tramp stamp, 2025 "you" may wish you had asked mom about it first!

I also spent a lot of time researching. I checked up on local tattoo shops, googled pre and post care information and spent quite a bit of time considering font, placement and size. Getting inked is really exciting, but you have to be sure to take the time to plan everything all out. It's easy to forget that it will be on your body for the rest of your life (but it will be!!!!!!!)

xo,
Meg



No comments:

Post a Comment