Greek?


Pre-college there was never really a question of whether I was going to go greek or not, I just was.  I don't really recall a specific time when I came to this conclusion or really anytime that I considered anything other.

I arrived at Mizzou a week early for recruitment, mildly terrified, but seemingly prepared.  As a rather introverted person the concept of rush week was certainly daunting, but I had my talking topics memorized, my best smile rehearsed, and most importantly: my outfits planned.  I spent much of that week wondering why I felt so out of place.  The conversations went well, my fake smile started to feel real, but whenever I tried to imagine myself as a part of a the greek system, I couldn't and so eventually I decided I wouldn't.  I definitely did not come to this decision easily.  I am somewhat of a compulsive planner and so I struggled with the self-inflicted consequences after such an unexpected shift in plans.  Yet here I am, a semester and (almost) a half later confident as ever in my decision.

I have some really incredible friends that are apart of sororities and I have some really great friends that like myself have opted out.  At such a greek oriented school like Mizzou there is such a pressure and an emphasis on becoming apart of the system.  The thing is, not everyone is cut out to be a Srat girl or a frat guy and that is completely okay!  I've read so many articles regarding what makes greek life so incredible, and while I am confident it is for many people, it doesn't mean that it's the right choice for everyone.

I think that it's so completely important to find your "home away from home" in college, but for me that wasn't through a greek house.  In some respects, I'm still building that level of comfort, but in the process I've stumbled into some enduring friendships and found an unexpected sense of community.

xo,
Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment