First Semester Reflections



Adjusting to college life has proved to be one of the most difficult experiences of my life and it certainly wasn't something I had been expecting.  As I approached move-in I was fully aware that I would be quite homesick for my family and friends, but now as I look back I realize how utterly clueless I had been.  About not just that, but everything.  

Nothing had gone the way I predicted, and for a person like myself that feels the need to plan out every last detail, it was a struggle.  I had to learn to leave my expectations at the door, I had to learn a lot.  But amidst the chaos came some unforgettable memories, friends, and lessons.  At the end of the day (or semester) I've just realized how thankful I am for all of it.  You've got take the bad with the good.  

If there is anything I've learned from it, its that...

You can't predict it or control it.  
Like I said, practically every expectation that I entered college with proved to be irrelevant.  One of the most surprising twists of my first week and my first semester was my decision not to join a sorority.  I hadn't even entertained the idea prior to rush week, but as I went through recruitment it just didn't feel like the right place for me.  At the time, having that epiphany was difficult to face, but I am so incredibly thankful that I did.  Maybe I'm too much of an idealist, but I whole heartily believe that everything happens for a reason.  And this situation couldn't be further proof.

Check yourself, before you wreck yourself.
This is applicable in a multitude of ways (and its just kind of fun to say).  But I mean it most in the sense that you have to be careful not to lose yourself (I know, cliché, but also true) and keep your priorities in check.  It's so easy to get lost in the shuffle when you're in college, but its so important to remember the person you are, the person you want to be, and things that are important to you.  

Open yourself up to new opportunities.
Join clubs, go to events, meet people in your classes, ect.  Just be active on your campus because its so important, not only to just be apart of something, but to explore your interests and make connections.  

And you should have some fun too!

xo, 
Meg

  





No comments:

Post a Comment